A2PRODUCTION-STRING ALONG

Sunday 5 September 2010

story telling techniques

During my research I have been looking at interesting and unique ways of telling stories.
One of the most common is narration. Narration is a classic but I think a good way off telling stories, as it allows the audience to be able to see things how the writer or director intendeds, I say this because as an audience sometimes we make our own interpretations of things and can be misled or not get the true message of a film/story. One film which uses this technique (one of my favorites) is Frank Darabont’s the Shaw shank redemption. This film was narrated by Morgan Freeman; the narration in this film influenced many of my judgments towards situations as well as characters.



Overall I like this technique as it can make the audience feel a certain way, either for or against certain characters especially when narrated by main characters in the film. I also like this techniques as it makes a film so clear, especially for children, which is why this is also used in many children’s classical fairy tales or children’s movies, to make sure audiences understand

Another story telling techniques I like is direct address, although very similar to narration I think this one has different affects it allows the audience to feel part of a scene, or sometimes have connection with the actors, in the theater industry this is mostly seen in pantomimes, I have also researched that in that particular industry it particularly used by a great practioner’s, plays named Brecht. But in the film industry can also be seen in films, as well as cartoons such as Disney channel’s kuzco hers is an example. this is mostly highlighted at- 5.18 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment