A2PRODUCTION-STRING ALONG

Friday 21 January 2011

evaluation question number 2

After the production we knew the next step was advertising. In order to do so and successfully, we produced film posters as well as film reviews, tools to attract our target audience, making them want to watch the film. However how does a poster and a film review work together with a film as a whole package and how effectively do they work together?

To make sure that our ancillary projects as well as our main task worked together I had to keep a lot of things in consideration, such as themes and concepts which needed to be seen in all 3 takes to show they all formed one product.

The first thing I started with was the production of my film poster I researched into current poster campaigns which have proven to be successful as they have gained great recognition. Film poster campaigns such as Harry potter and the deathly hallows have given me many ideas for the construction of my poster as well as my campaign as the films film campaign was very interesting. Film poster campaigns exist not only to promote the film but also promote the genre the themes and the characters involved. Harry potters film campaign had a variety of film posters with different characters in each poster; this is a good way to attract a wide range of audiences as different characters have different fan bases, meaning some characters may influence more people to watch a film than others. This was one of the main reason I decided to do more than one poster however the differences in the posters is more based on the different looks it has compared to different characters.

My first poster consists of our main character Delilah, in the centre of the page, her picture however is bleached out, so we can mainly see a white silhouette which is complemented by a black background and red and white fonts around the poster. I decided to have our character in that place because she is the main attraction of film she is the focus. However I bleached out her picture to create more of a sense of mystery which is present in the film during the build up scenes before the big confrontation.
The main thing I was attempting to do when I was producing my film posters was to try and bring the world of the film on a page however to this in 3 different ways, so that my film poster campaign consisted of 3 posters which each told a bit of the story of my film.

In my first poster the use of colours and items are all things from the film which I brought into my poster. For example the use of the colour red is the main focus throughout out film, due to the mainly different representations it has, this is why this colour is present in all 3 of my film posters. In the first poster this colour is shown through the colour of the string and certain tittles, such as names and film information. The string in the film is also a very important element which I brought in my poster through the style of witting for the title of the film and, the image of the string. The character’s body language is very plain and kind of stiff, to show that she doesn’t really know what to do, which is the same body language
Present in the argument scenes of our film in the last few scenes.

My second poster focuses more on the things she does. The pictures used of Delilah whispering into one of the men’s ears, is a portrayal of the way in which she manipulates these men by, telling them everything they want to hear. Both characters here are in the foreground however more of Delilah’s face is shown in comparison to the other male, this shows that she is the main character and it is about her doing something to the other characters. This is what she does in our film. Once again I incorporated the theme of the strings through the style of writing on the poster.

My third film poster is inspired by other film posters for films such as Valentines Day, Looses Cannons, and he’s just not that into you. This style is very effective as it has allowed me to incorporate several key scenes of the film, in one poster. I chose this style as it allowed me to tell a little bit of the plot, without giving too much away. I tried to this in all my posters to create hype over the film, and word of mouth which is the cheapest and most effective form of promotion.

Overall I think that my film complements my film very effectively as they all contain elements of the film and portray the character the same way she is in the film. The same themes present in my posters are also present.
The next step for the promotion of our film was creating a film review. The main purpose of a film review is to answer the questions asked by audience after having seen a film poster, it also tells audiences from a critical point of views the high and low points of a film, and telling the audiences the genre of the film the kind of audiences it would Appeal through the constant references of similar films or previous work of the director they Basically tell us if a is even worth watching, all this is done however without explaining the whole film.

The film magazine I decided to write my review for was total film magazine. This decision was based on the fact that this is a well known film magazine, in England which has a lot of recognition; the most important reason however was because based on research I found out that this magazine also writes for low budget films from around the world. Films made in Countries where film is hard to get noticed, since our film is a small production I thought that this would be the best magazine to write for.

My film review is written in a style which fits the magazine and also targets our target audience of people of the ages of 15+ this is because I believe the themes in our film start to be experienced from that age, and the films elements are not so explicit to have a rating of 18 the language is also targeted at that audience, the kind of jokey attitude in the beginning of the review shows this. My film review just gives a basic overview of the film and talks about its main features, such as the fact that it is a silent film, the key themes it involves, and compliments the visual elements which are present throughout the film. Just like any other film review important film information such as running times, and directors is present. The picture used for the film review follows the house style of the film and the film posters. I picked this picture because it belongs to the abstract scene and kind of tells the main Idea of the film, with the woman character and her holding on to the strings on each hand. Overall I believe that both of my ancillary tasks compliment each other as well as my main task as they all share the same things which makes them look like one product. One campaign which promotes our film successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment