A2PRODUCTION-STRING ALONG

Friday 21 January 2011

evaluation question number 4

New technology was used during many processes of our film production. During preproduction the main thing I used for research was the internet. This helped me carry out all the research I needed to do, such as character research and general research into other films. The website most useful to me where Google, IMDB and YouTube.











For example Google helped me for general searches of course because it is a very popular search engine. With Google I was transferred to all the sites I needed to look at and gained pictures, which helped me throughout the preproduction process, such as pictures of story boards, and characters, which helped us build our own. I did not really have any limitations with this as it provided me with all the information I needed most of the time, but sometimes if I didn't know the name of a specific thing I wanted research and relied on Google, the outcome wasn't always in my interest, meaning there were times when I needed to be specific even when I couldn’t be however I did find things to replace those. For example, when researching different story telling techniques, I didn’t know the name of a specific one, but whilst searching for it, Google showed me alternatives.
YouTube
was also very helpful because it helped me to get actual visual footage which helped a lot with things like getting ideas, making comparisons, and just looking into other films.

YouTube helped us overcome the limitations we had with still things like pictures and text. Because our film would be a moving picture looking at other moving pictures was very helpful, the ones we looked at, were ways to open our opening sequences, this varied from current opening sequences as well as TV show openings, which all contributed to our ideas. We looked at opening titles for shows such as seven day, a channel four documentary which had a very interesting opening sequence; we looked at opening sequences for films like Dexter and true blood which kept the themes of the show very clear in their sequence. We also looked at characters in action, characters like Naomi Clark, and Mercedes, As well as Lena from broken embraces which where helpful to watch, in action in clips, this was good for our character to look at but also came in handy for us the directors when directing our character during filming, we were able to look back at Those clips and directed them, so they would portray a certain message same way those clips did.

IMDB was used during research too; this was because it is a film based site and so went in much more depth regarding film information in comparison to other pages like Wikipedia. Especially for small production films which don't have that much recognition yet. For example a Loose Canons was a film which I had some trouble researching into, but IMDB made it possible for me to gain the information I needed. This form of technology not only helped for the research for our film but also for, research into film magazine and posters for our ancillary tasks because I was able to research different types of film magazines around and get information on each, and find the best one for my film. I was able to compare print as well as, web pages and the differences and similarities in their layout ect.. And look into various, film posters some current and very classic ones as well for comparison. For our planning process, such as the production of our scripts, our story boards, our call sheets, and all our other preproduction items which would help us create our film. The main form of new technology used, was the scanner. This was extremly helpfull. Especially for things which we had drawn and when gathering ideas for our story board many of us drew many different things. Personally drawing was much easier to do on paper rather than on a computer software, so with the scanner we were able to draw, and scan in our story boards and other drawn up items, or even things which we researched such as print film magazines, so they could be presented on our blogs. Scanning was very helpful, however its one limitation was that sometimes text or little detail was unclear; some things did not show up, or things originally meant to be presented on one page, ended up in two because of the limited scanning space on the scanner.
This is another way in which the use of new technology was present in the overall production processes of our film.

The actual production/ filming of our film was carried out with a canon hxa1 Camera, this is a high definition camera with many functions to alter the look of the shot.

In our story board we have a few shots which are blurred or have certain effects which can be achieved on, on the camera, so our aim was to, create these effects while shooting. However our group came to the decision that it would be much better to add the effects in after during post production, this made the camera much easier to manage and was a safer option.

So instead we used the camera in a standard manner, we used the zooming dials near the lens of the camera, and experimented with the focus of the camera to try and get different interesting shots. This is present in the daydream sequence, we shot this using the blurring function, on the camera and we shot it again normally without any effects, we used the blur here to emphasis the daydream essence.

One thing which we insisted on doing was having the sound equipment on set even though it was a silent film, I insisted upon this especially due to past mistakes where sound equipment was not on set, resulting to lack of sound. Even though that was the aim of our film, we felt that sound still needed to be recorded just incase we picked up anything which could be used effectively in our film, this however did not happen.
We also used a digital camera on set, to take pictures of the set and characters after certain shots to make sure, that they looked the same in the next ones. For example one of the scenes in our film takes place in the, living room with food and other items placed on the table, so the pictures helped us set everything back in its exact place, the next day.


Similar to the role of a director of photography. This also allowed us to remember the placement characters and made the role of person in charge of continuity much easier and manageable, especially since we had 3 cast members and 5 crew members, things could sometimes get a little bit confusing. These where the main forms of new technology used during the filming process.


During the editing process the software we used to edit our films, was Adobe Premier Pro, a film editing software. With this software we digitised our rushes from our camera straight on our computer, when this was done we kept cutting down our shots to a satisfactory length and kept going back to it, all our work was saved on a LaCie drive another form of helpful new technology we used. This acted a bit USB for us, it’s a drive which allowed us to store as many files as we needed to due to its high disk space, and go back to it when needed.


The film editing software Was useful in the sense that, it allowed us to included almost all of our desired effects in our film visually wise, such as "cross fades" and "dip to blacks", "dip to white" "blurs" on screen to create our daydream sequence. I say almost however because, some of the things we aimed to do where not achievable, for example bleaching out all colours apart from the red, throughout the film. We attempted this by changing the opacity of certain shots, and picking out a certain colour to be identified by the software, which in this case would have been red. However this looked very good but only work well with only one shot in our film. The film editing software as a whole also had its limitations, with the constant crashing and sometimes being unable to recognise files which meant we had to save our work regularly, to make sure nothing was lost. The same software was used for our titles. We originally planned to create something based around the string. This would however have meant that we would need to animate our string which we were not able to do on that software, due to its limited amount of things which can be done with tittles.

When our film was finally edited and ready to play out the next step was the distribution elements like film posters and magazines and there production.
My film magazine was the first thing I produced and, this was created on Microsoft publisher, I used publisher because it allowed me to have more freedom regarding the placement of my text, and the layout, and also because its layout looks like a magazine page. However I also copied and pasted certain things unto word due to the fact that there I was able to act finishing touches in my font, and I did nit want the border lines of my magazine page to show up like they would do on publisher.
For my film poster, the two main software’s I used were paint and Microsoft publisher. I used Microsoft publisher, instead of more recognised software’s such as Photoshop because although they have more to offer, I felt as if Microsoft publisher was much easier to use for me as I felt comfortable with this software more than others, and believed I could use it effectively to its full potential.

The LaCie drive was also used so I could get screen grabs of, the film and transfer them to another computer. When this was done I pasted my pictures to paint and edited them, as desired for example, bleaching them and colouring in. Certain areas, for example I did this in my 3rd film poster, by making the surroundings black and white and important things like the woman’s lips and the string remain red. I did little things like this so our concepts and themes would show through. Paint was good for this as I was able to fill in those areas successfully by zooming in and doing so precisely and carefully. When I did all this, I then pasted them back on Microsoft publisher and laid them out to my desire which was extremely easy to do using this software.

The most commonly used form of new technology however was our blogs. Our blogs acted as our journals here we stored every single bit of research, planning and all the things we needed for our film. In the beginning I didn’t realise how helpful and vital it would be but it proved to be. We used to blog to also present work such as treatments to present to classmates and our teacher, as well as using it to present videos which all helped towards our film,
These are all the ways in which I used new technology for the production of our film.
































No comments:

Post a Comment